7 Ways to Show a Cop That They Matter… to YOU
One of most recent blog posts talked about how Blue Lives Matter… and we know most of you strongly agree with that. But how can you show it in a way that encourages the men and women in blue? Here are 7 tangible ways…
1. Hit ‘em in the gut… with donuts. No, that is not a joke (although it is a little funny… ok, a lot funny). It’s a stereotype for a reason, Cops, Fire and EMS eat a lot of donuts. Bring them a few dozen… with a sincere smile. Or Pizza, or Coffee or a selection of pops or something tangible to show that you care. A word of caution, don’t bring home made goods. Not that they are not super tasty… but most departments have a policy against homemade food just to be on the safe side.
2. Show Teeth…and Wrists…. Drive past them at a speed trap, sit next to them at a stop light, honk, roll down your window, smile, wave and just say thanks. Don’t be surprised if they look confused or angry. They are expecting a fight. Which shows you just how badly they have been treated by the “average” person they encounter in your town. Word of caution… don’t chase them down or get into a long drawn out thing. Just hi, thanks, smile and wave.
3. Get Sticky with it… We have all seen police cars parked. Take 30 seconds and write a quick encouraging note and leave it under the windshield. You’ll make someone’s whole shift.
4. Be an Advocate… When your kids, neighbor, husband, friend, etc starts complaining about the cops, stick up for them. We’re not saying the police are perfect, they do give tickets to the good guys sometimes but on the whole, we’d all rather they be on the streets then not. Stick up for the guys (and gals) in blue.
5. Pick up their Tab… Don’t walk up to the cops and say “hey, I want to buy your meal” (department policy probably prohibits that). Quietly ask for the manager and say I want to pick up their bill. Pay it, tip and then walk out. Don’t even wait around for the thank you.
6. Do the Same Thing with their Dry Cleaning… I am sure you’ve been waiting at the dry cleaners for the carousel to bring your clothes round. And seen uniform, after uniform, after uniform. Have the dry cleaning manager pull a tag and pay their bill for them. Just write “thanks” at the bottom of the ticket and walk out. No recognition needed.
7. Have Your Kids Draw Them a Picture… Seriously, kids can melt even the most jaded hearts. Have them draw a picture for the police and then bring the little tykes to the station to drop it off (make sure to review the pictures for suitability, just in case).
One last thought don’t be surprised if there is little to no reaction when you do the above. It’s hard for people who think the world hates them to remember that not everyone is like the folks on the news. And all it takes is a few people doing the above to remind them there are far more good citizens counting on them, then bad ones looking to hurt them.
Tried these out? Have other (or better?) ideas… sound off in the comments below!